We can alter the flow and the size of the droplets by using different applicators and, if required, our team of experts can build a catchment tank to contain the falling water. If you’re looking to put performers in the rain then we can also warm the water to eliminate any cold shock.
Please click on the images to read the full case study for each project.
Very large quantities of water are often required, which can be stored in 1,000 litre bowers to maximise the flow and/or duration of water.
Our Rain Special Effects have featured in a number of live performances.
- As seen at the BRIT Awards in 2015 and 2018 for both Paloma Faith and Stormzy. Each award winning artists received huge acylation for their performances.
- The rain effect has also been used at the MOBO Awards for Stooshe’s re-release of TLC’s Waterfalls.
- The Entertainment Effects team have also worked with girlband Little Mix. On more than one occasion we helped create VT content for their live shows by making it rain in a studio for a film shoot.
Stage shows usually result in longer installations of a few weeks or more. In these instances we have to consider water management (we need to change the water after a specific period of time) due to the risk of legionella’s disease.
The Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford Upon Avon had a Rain Curtain which they projected onto for their production of Dido Queen of Carthage.
Recently, Brighton College also used our Rain Special Effects for one of their productions.
Our first water special effect TV job was many years ago for the second series of Britain’s Got talent where we provided a Rain Special Effect for George Sampson’s performance of Singing In The Rain.
We’ve also been on Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway, Splash with Tom Daley and Get Your Act Together.
The Wella Trend Vision Awards is an annual event held in London. As part of the show, a live ‘Metamorphic’ performance took place to showcase the Sebastian Professional brand.
A couple performed together dancing in front of a large LED with falling water. Then, mimicking the screen behind them, rain fell from the ceiling soaking the couple as they twisted and turned. The pair disappeared from the stage, one left one right. A few seconds later they returned completely bone dry, perfect hair and make-up, just like magic.
How did they do it? Entertainment Effects were tasked to install the Rain Special Effects of course. As for the magic – they used two sets of identical twins.
- TV Productions – Our Rain Special Effects have been seen on a variety of renowned programmes across The BBC and ITV, including Saturday Night Takeaway’s Singing in the Rain with Robbie Williams.
- Live Performances – We’ve soaked Paloma Faith and Stormzy as part of our special effects for live stage productions.
- Product Launches – Under Armour were launching a new range of water proof clothing, so we made it rain for their promotional photoshoot.
- Marketing Stunts – We’ve provided rain effects for a Pimm’s Wedding Dash Competition as well as a gorilla marketing campaign in Regent Street to mark the opening of their first store.
- Catchment – Event organisers will need to decide whether they require a tank to catch the falling water.
- Duration – We’re limited by the amount of water we can store and it will depend on the amount of rain, but we can accurately calculate this for you.
- Power – We will require a power source to run the pumps and the heater (if required).
- Timings – How long have you got to set and clear away the equipment? It might only be 2-3 minutes as part of an advert break.
DETAILED PRODUCT INFORMATION
INSTALLATION & SETUP
- We usually start by locating the water source and filling the supply tanks as this can be very time consuming, as well as heating the water.
- Our specialist team then place the storage tanks with drip trays to catch any small spillages.
- Next, we’ll often build the catchment tank before then rigging the nozzle bars either in the ceiling or on a floor mounted truss structure.
HEALTH & SAFETY
The highest area of risk comes with performers slipping on a wet surface, so choosing relevant footwear for performers is critical. When using our grated deck heeled shoes are not advised.
The duration of the rain is always a key consideration. We need to take into account practice runs for the cameramen and lighting teams, as well as dress rehearsals and then the full run through. In some instances its possible to pump the water back from the catchment area into the storage tanks to reuse the water.